Consumers Guide to Searching Online for a San Jose Insurance Agent
To find a licensed insurance agent in San Jose, it’s recommended you start your research online rather than looking in the yellowpages. Chances are you not only want a competent insurance agent, you also want to find great rates as well.
With companies like State Farm, Allstate and many independent agents all competing for your business, consumers have a hard time knowing which provider will give you the cheapest rates and the best coverage. Fortunately, consumers can use online quotes in order to build a list of agents and thier coverage prices.
Shop online but buy locally
Licensed agents can answer important questions and give you peace of mind. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local agencies is important particularly in San Jose.
Once you complete this simple form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in San Jose who will battle for your insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address.
Pick the best car insurance agent in San Jose for you
When looking for a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in San Jose are either independent or captive. Either one can write coverage properly, but it’s important to know how they differ since it can impact the selection process.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part.
When searching for an agent, you should always include price quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.Most have the option of insuring with smaller companies which may provide better rates.
Below is a list of independent agencies in San Jose that are able to give price quote information.
- Jess Perez Agency – 1515 Meridian Ave # 201 – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 723-1542
- Jack Healy Insurance Inc – 1602 The Alameda # 203 – San Jose, CA 95126 – (408) 286-0686
- Isu Insurance-Cheung Agency – 2635 N 1st St # 102 – San Jose, CA 95134 – (408) 922-0600
- Tony Chan Insurance – 556 N 1st St # 102 – San Jose, CA 95112 – (408) 271-1999
- Alice Chan Agency – 2136 Ringwood Ave – San Jose, CA 95131 – (408) 453-8831
Captive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only buy from captive agents partially due to loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below are San Jose captive insurance agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance – 1659 Branham Ln # F – San Jose, CA 95118 – (408) 979-2990
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 2550 N 1st St – San Jose, CA 95131 – (408) 577-1191
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1414 Meridian Ave – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 266-6076
- State Farm Insurance – 650 N Winchester Blvd – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 985-2755
To view a full list of captive agencies in San Jose, click here to link.
Picking an auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How long has their agency been in business in San Jose?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in your state?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Once you have reasonable responses for all questions you ask and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that will properly service your car insurance policy. Keep in mind you can always cancel a policy at any point so don’t think that you are obligated to any specific agency with no way to switch.
There’s no such thing as the perfect policy
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I buy only the required California minimum liability coverage?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent.
Smart consumers save more
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Affordable car insurance is available from both online companies and with local San Jose insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Independent insurance agents work with many regional insurance providers that may not offer online price quotes.
Some additional reading
Additional car insurance information can be found on the California Department of Insurance website. Click here for link. Consumers can learn about insurance regulations, report car insurance fraud, view agent and company licensing information, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker. Other informative sites include car insurance in California and make San Jose car insurance comparisons.